Friday, August 7, 2009

Freedom Now And Then

I shall build me a house with no windows and doors

This house I shall build has no roof and no floors.

I shall lock myself inside and swallow the key

And fall down to earth, propped up on one knee.


I shall close my eyes tight and imagine a day

A time long ago of which men dare not say.

Through many a day, week and year I do fly

Till finding myself under a cold moonlit sky.


Around me are tents and war-weary men

Wearing torn tattered clothes barely covering their skin.

A musket in one hand and a fire in their eye

Men who knew that tomorrow they too may die.


Nearby was a tent, mighty steed tied outside

Inside was a man who from his heart cried.

“Dear God give us strength, give us wisdom and might,

For tomorrow, together for freedom we fight.”


I crept to the tent and whispered one word

“General?” I said, unsure if he heard.

“Amen” he did say and with that said, “Come in”

“What troubles you son?” he said with a grin.


“General Washington, sir, before tomorrow you go

There’s something I think you really should know.

In days yet to come, where this night I do stand

Two centuries from now in this then-sovereign land.”


“Men will be selfish, forget what you’ve done

They will throw away freedom, the freedom you’ve won.

They‘ll remember your name, not the cause of your men

They’ll forget why you’re here, where you’ll go, where you’ve been.”


“Sir, I don’t know if your time you should waste

Let your men go back home, away in great haste.

Two centuries from now we will give it away

Just thought you should know before another wasted day.”


He was quiet for a time, no doubt in deep thought

There was much on his mind, a war to be fought.

He looked up at me with joy in his eyes

A look from a man both mighty and wise.


“Thank you, my friend”, he said with a smile

“But you don’t understand why we fight this next mile.

Men come and they go like the wind that does blow

But for freedom they will fight through the rain, sleet and snow.”


“Our purpose here is much beyond you and me

We fight this good fight on land and on sea.

For those long since gone and those not yet born

We struggle with pride ‘gainst this tyrannical storm.”


“Our purpose is freedom so that all may live free

Both two centuries hence and my family and me.

Our cause it is right, it is just, it is true

But when the battle is done it will be up to you.”


“We hand you a torch, a beacon in the night

A bright shining star for which you must now fight.

Go back to your time, to your family and home

But remember tomorrow we fight not alone.”


“We fight for your vote and your voice and your cause

And when men do forget encourage them to pause.

Remind them we fight for freedom for all

We gladly shed blood for this our true call.”


“So go back to your time and fight YOUR good fight

Side by side with us here on this cold, moonlit night.

We’ve started a war that through time must be fought

You pay now the price for the freedom we’ve bought.”


“But just one thing more ‘fore you leave now our day

Betsy made this for us but with you it should stay.

Take it in your hands, your heart, soul and mind

Gaze at its beauty when the strength you can’t find.”


“It warms me to know that our fight’s not in vain

Many more men will die as we continue to strain.

You’ve come a free man but the fight’s not yet through

200 years hence it will be up to you.”


“Now excuse me dear friend, for some sleep I must get

This fight that we’ve won, we haven’t won yet.”

He turned to his side and blew out the light

I returned once again to the cold, moonlit night.


As I walked through the men, back to my own life

I thanked them each one for their struggle and strife.

But back to my day, away I did fly

As I traveled through time, my heart it did cry.


How soon we forget and plot a new path

In spite of those men and forgetting God’s wrath.

We live in a land that for now remains free

These thoughts plagued my mind as I returned to one knee.


I stood straight and tall, upon my two feet

I whispered “Amen” as I began to repeat.

The last words he said on that cold, moonlit night

My eyes filled with fire, heart primed for a fight.


“This fight that we’ve won, we haven’t won yet”

His words pierced my soul, I will not soon forget.

Even knowing that men may soon give it away

He fought even for them, for his time and our day.


I looked to my hands and was shocked now to find

That majestic old flag, which was given in kind.

The flag was now old, it was tattered and torn

Much like the clothes on those men that were worn.


That flag speaks the story and the story is true

A tale of the fight for the “Red, White and Blue”.

It’s dirty at times and the cost it is high

But the freedom we have, no man can deny.


Tyranny stands at the door and always does knock

Both outside and in, so we too must take stock.

In the freedom we have and the price that was paid

In the men who have died and the flag that was made.


We live in a time with threats far and wide

Even threats from within, as we stand side by side

With free men from that night and free men from this day

With women and children all willing to pay.


The time now is ours and the fight is ours too

The price to be paid is for me and for you.

So stand we together and this fight we shall win

For this fight is for freedom, Freedom Now And Then.


Unpublished work © 2009 by Darrin Neil Wilcox

2 comments:

  1. Great poem! And how true it is that the general population takes so much for granted in this day of "what's in it for me". I hope we don't have to fight on our own soil once again for our freedom that is at risk today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem, Darrin! We are very proud you are our son-in law!! God bless-
    We love you,
    Rich and Diane

    ReplyDelete